The Environmental Specimen Bank was established in 2012 and opened for sample requests from 1st of January 2016.
You can find the database here – choose “guest account”.
Criteria for evaluation of requests for samples:
- Relevance of the project for environmental protection management.
- Projects on time trends for new environmental pollutants should be prioritised.
- There might be restrictions for some sample materials. Sample matrices with few samples and/or few locations might have larger restrictions than sample materials with larger sample and/or more easy to collect.
- The main aim for these kind of samples are retrospective analyses and effects of new environmental pollutants.
- Projects on «known pollutants» but where the project will provide new insight in mechnisms and ecological relevant knowledge can also be evaluated.
- The applicant must be able to document high and excellent knowledge within the field of environmental pollution and with special emphasis in the specific theme and setting for the requested samples.
Samples can only be provided from the Environmental Specimen Bank after an approval by the expert group. Providing of samples should be documented in the database in accordance with the bank’s procedures.
The Environmental Specimen Bank has two application deadlines for 2018:
– 1st of June 2018
– 15th of December 2018
OBS! Criteria and rules for requests can be changed until 6 weeks before the application deadline.
To send a request for samples, please fill out this application and send it by post or email to:
When fish is dissected, it is possible to ask for the material not used. Such request can be approved without an approval of the ordinary application. If you are interested, please contact the Environmental Specimen Bank directly for more information.
More information (Norwegian) and procedures are listed here:
Information on scientific training and procedures is available in Norwegian:
Scientific training of ESB staff
For English information, please contact the bank at firstname.lastname@example.org.